.

November 4, 2006

Talking During A Run This Morning

It's early and already today has shown itself to be another clue in the change of employment. I picked up a passenger who was absolutely sweet and we had a lovely conversation about the purpose of creation en-route to LAX.

Some of the topics were (most of these will eventually make it into later entries and the website, when I get a chance to put it all together...).

The Purpose of Creation
Neale Donald Walsch, in his "Conversations with God" series puts it better than anyone I know when he says, God knew himself to be the totality of all there is, creation is God experiencing himself as everything. To which I add, knowing something and experiencing it are two completely different things; for example, when you were a child, your mother told you not to touch the stove, it's hot and will burn you. Now you had that piece of data, but after the first time you actually touched it and had the experience of being burned, it was quite a bit more than a piece of datum.

Speaking In The First Person for God
In the Gospel of John and in several other scripture, we find teachers speaking for God in the first person. In John, we have "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6) and in the Bhagavad-Gita, we have Krishna saying "If you become conscious of Me, you will pass over all the obstacles of conditioned life by My grace. If, however, you do not work in such consciousness but act through false ego, not hearing Me, you will be lost." (Bg 18:58). Both are claiming to be capable of saving others themselves.

Traditionally (on both sides) we tend to inject our own egos and pride and claim ours as THE one and only truth and the other as a lie or falsehood. What if, instead, both are true? How could that be? Maybe we all have the ability to save each other, possible but questionable, or (my personal belief) they are speaking on behalf of something greater than their physical appearance. In Christianity, we call it the Holy Spirit and in Hinduism, param-atma (the great soul (literally) the aspect of God which permeated His creation).

Omnipotence and Omnipresence
If God is omnipotent and omnipresent, then he can't separate himself from His creation, to do so would cause it to cease existence. We are given freedom of choice to make our choice and part of that allows us to deny the existence of God. If God were to do likewise, deny the existence of, say, me, I would cease to exist and no one would likely remember that I was ever here, uncreated (I know a few people who might consider petitioning God on this one).

I'l come back to all this later. I need to go back to work...

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I guess I am the sweet lady to whom you refer in your comments about the Saturday morning run to LAX. I don't recall the last time someone referred to me as sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and you gave me opportunity to explore my thoughts. This whole blogging thing is new to me - perhaps I'll get the hang of it soon. Anyway, just wanted you to know I am back in Cleveland with all the dreary weather, working intensely and recalling our conversation. Take care of YOU and I'll be in touch soon. JB

Unknown said...

I thought you were sweet and very kind. I didn't get to pick up your son the other day, but I'll see him some other time most likely. I did check out his website, not bad at all, I may have to get his work.

Welcome and please feel free to comment on anything you find here!

 

.