.

June 17, 2014

So today it begins...

Yesterday I finally made it out of the house and finished the last of the details. Of course I had to forget something, this time it was the hat, a major no-no for 2 months of hiking in the California sun.  I managed to pick it up and make it to the new, to me at least, Culver City Expo Line Station looking like this...


I didn't make it to San Diego till about 10:30pm and by the time I had taken the Green Trolley to the Mission are, it would have been too late to hunt for a place to camp for the night.  I thought about ringing the bell at the Mission, but even monks like to sleep, or so I thought.  I found a Hostel/Hotel, the 500 West Hotel, like two blocks from the station and just the other side of the Trolley station, it was a bit late and I had some work to do before sleeping, so I spent a little extra and got a room, or in this case, a large closet.  It is definitely no-frills flying, but I like it.  (Definitely ask for the Amtrak special)

Part of this journey for me is the walking away from all the "things" thatI have allowed to take such an impressively prominent role in my existence, not sure why, but they do make the time pass quickly.
 
It's kind of interesting as I got up this morning, I looked out of the window onto Broadway from 3 floors up and just started to watch the people as they walked past on the way to whatever it is they are up to, after a bit, I had to stop, it was getting depressing, all so somber and not "here" on such a beautiful morning that was just begging to be noticed.

OK, maybe I'm looking at it from a different pair of eyes, I have started to step out of the "norm" and it causes one to see things differently. I am also willing to admit that I am definitely in the minority on how this all works, but I wonder if my view that gives so many opportunities to enjoy this existence is really so wrong when at least it allows for joy in my life, when I watch the "normal" I do not often see joy or happiness.  It reminds me of something my great-grandfather used to say, "The only difference between a rut an a grave is a matter of depth."

I am the first to admit that I am going through MAJOR withdrawal of all the stimulus and intrusions upon peace for the entertainment of the mind. I turned of my cable and internet off on Friday and last weekend sucked, but it helped me get ready for what starts today.  Fortunately my "room" did not have a television so I had no opportunity to "get a fix"...  LOL

I will say that the fear that has practically paralyzed me the last week or so seriously started to subside as soon as I got on the Metro yesterday and I feal better today than I have in quite a while. So I'm going to shut down here, go back upstairs after I finish my breakfast and start to the Mission and get my passport and start heading for my first goal, Self-Realization Fellowship's Encinitas Hermitage, Retreat & Gardens, about 26 miles of walking.  I was hoping to do it in a day, but I will be quite pleased if I make it half-way since it is my first day and while the temperature is nice, low-70's, the humidity is a touch oppressive. We will see what happens, plus there is no real required date and time for this trip, I am literally placing myself at the disposal of the Universe.

Later!



Follow the latest updates via Facebook at Robert Burgener's Spiritgeek.com page

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Thanks for the updates Rob! Keep them coming - we're watching closely. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures - very exciting!!

 

.