.

September 10, 2013

September 11th - Some Thoughts

Sorry for the delay, I was working on my post for Monday and it suddenly hit a brick wall. Sometimes that happens, I get writing something and it just fades into the darkness, sometimes permanently, other times just for the moment.  I find it most often means that I have something else to do first. So, I will put the entry on the back burner and come back to it at another time.

So what is it that I want to write about today? What has been on my mind all day has been that tomorrow is Wednesday, September 11th, the anniversary of the "terrorist attacks" on New York City and Washington.

I think that such days, while important to remember so that we do not repeat them, are often used for their emotional attachments in attempts to manipulate the populace to a particular perspective or ideology, not necessarily in their own best interest.

Sadly, I expect Fox and the Conservative Talking-Heads to play the dramatic side of the anniversary to its hilt, on one side they will play the sorrow of the anniversary and on the other side, they will likely crow their claims of being the party of national safety.  Is such a claim deserved, honestly, I do not know, but I doubt it.

As much as I would never want to see such an event happened again, I am concerned what it bears for the nation's future when it has become nearly exclusively reactionary, instead of taking the time and energy to discover the truth of a situation, use reasonable judgment, and make an informed decision.

In the current political landscape there is a tendency, particularly amongst the Conservative Right, to play the drama card to manipulate their base. This is America, we allow people to think and believe as they please, but to take such a tragedy and smear it for political gain, personally, I find that deplorable.

Of course, it is possible that the media in general will present a particular image or mentality with an undisclosed purpose in mind (God, I sound like a conspiracy nut).

I guess it is inevitable that in time the anniversary of September 11th will eventually fade into history much as the anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day. For "a date which will live in infamy", it has faded into a memory, remembered mainly through a questionable movie starring Ben Affleck (President Franklin D. Roosevelt would be so disappointed).

Yet, there is the potential, as with all actions, for good to come out of them eventually. Only history will tell, but it is the now that makes history eventually.

No comments :

 

.